Sunday 18 March 2012

Happy St. Pat's Day (Kinda).

My contribution to St. Patrick's day was broccoli, broccoli wrapped in pasta (:

Friday was one of those nights that I just hadn't planned anything for dinner, I hadn't been shopping and I didn't know what was in the fridge or pantry! I opened them up and found my ingredients and a meal came to mind.

Now obviously Friday was not St. Pat's day, but I had left overs for Saturday night which I took to my Mum's house. I shared mine with my pasta obsessed niece and nephew whilst everybody else chowed down on stuff you don't want to know about!
(BTW omni hubby liked my meal MUCH better, I love that over time he is starting to see that meat makes you feel heavy, a bit sick and generally gross).

So what was this delectable delight I created? It goes by the "very imaginative" name of:
Broccoli Pasta
Omni hubby said "WOW, that looks so vegan!"
Funny that :-P

Ingredients:
Quick note: there are few measurements because I didn't really measure anything, I just chucked it all in!
  • Pasta, I used high fibre white pasta, but you can use what ever you like, spinach pasta for that extra St. Patty's day kick or of course wholemeal or GF.
  • Garlic, I used granules 
  • Salt
  • 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • juice of one lemon
  • 1 ½-2 heads of broccoli
  • Sesame seeds
  • Olive oil
Method:
  1. Boil water in a large pot.
  2. Whilst water is boiling cut broccoli into florets.
  3. Add pasta and some salt (if desired) and garlic to water.
  4. Juice the lemon and add the juiced halves (NOT the juice, just the left over skins and pulp) to the water.
  5. When pasta only has about a minute to go chuck the broccoli and chickpeas in with the pasta.
  6. When broccoli is cooked drain the whole lot and put it back in the pan.
  7. Drizzle with some olive oil, pour in the lemon juice and toss on some sesame seeds. Give it a good stir and there you have it, broccoli pasta!
The first night we had this with (Woolworths Homebrand) garlic bread, which is my new obsession, but please don't forget about my main obsession to bring Lord of the Fries to Tasmania.
The second night I had 2 Redwood Lincolnshire style meat-free sausages and BBQ sauce with it, both nights it was great!

So go on and enjoy a very tasty and nutritious meal on me (: 


No comments:

Post a Comment