Tuesday 30 December 2014

Dal.

I love Indian food, but it often gives me heartburn, though I find that with a lot of tomatoey dishes. This is my tomato-free Dal. It is so good, yes, I know I am biased, but it truly is! (: And I promise it tastes a LOT better than it looks ;)


Ingredients: 

  • 400g tin lentils drained and rinsed
  • 400mL coconut milk, plus extra IF required
  • 1 tsp Garam Masala, cumin, ground coriander seeds
  • 1 brown onion, diced
  • 3 cloves/tsp crushed garlic
  • 1/2 tsp minced ginger
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
  • Sugar as needed if too salty
  • Splash of Braggs (optional, but worth it)
  • 1 Tbsp Coconut oil
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • (I've given measurements, but really all the spices are to taste.)

Method: 

  1. Melt coconut oil in a saucepan. 
  2. Add diced onion and sauté gently. 
  3. Add garlic, ginger and all other spices and allow them to ft off a little. 
  4. Add lentils and coconut milk. Allow to simmer until thick, about 30-40 minutes. If it gets too thick thin out with a little more coconut milk. 
  5. Serve with steamed rice, roti and veggies, or as part of a banquet. 
  6. Enjoy (:

No comments:

Post a Comment