I love Indian food, but it often gives me heartburn, though I find that with a lot of tomatoey dishes. This is my tomato-free Dal. It is so good, yes, I know I am biased, but it truly is! (: And I promise it tastes a LOT better than it looks ;)
- 400g tin lentils drained and rinsed
- 400mL coconut milk, plus extra IF required
- 1 tsp Garam Masala, cumin, ground coriander seeds
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 cloves/tsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- Sugar as needed if too salty
- Splash of Braggs (optional, but worth it)
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- (I've given measurements, but really all the spices are to taste.)
- Melt coconut oil in a saucepan.
- Add diced onion and sauté gently.
- Add garlic, ginger and all other spices and allow them to ft off a little.
- Add lentils and coconut milk. Allow to simmer until thick, about 30-40 minutes. If it gets too thick thin out with a little more coconut milk.
- Serve with steamed rice, roti and veggies, or as part of a banquet.
- Enjoy (: