Sunday 14 December 2014

Strawberry Sauce

At work we have a rule that on your birthday you have to bring in the cake. I kinda think that's a bit mean, but being vegan I find it easier to cater for myself anyway. Plus it gives others a chance to see that vegan food isn't just "rabbit food". My go to special occasion cake is "my" (not my recipe) Chocolate Mousse Cheezecake  I made it yesterday for my birthday today. It's great with berries on top and that was my plan today, but when I looked at my punnet this morning they were a bit squashed and bruised. I decided I couldn't possibly serve them like that so I whipped a batch of strawberry sauce instead.


Ingredients:

  • 1 punnet of strawberries (or other berries or soft fruit, thinking mango next time) 
  • Agave nectar or white/raw sugar to taste A little water
  • Corn flour 

Method: 

  1. In a saucepan squish fruit with a masher or fork and add a little water. Heat up on medium heat slightly. 
  2. Transfer to blender, food processor or use a stick blender to liquify the fruit. 
  3. Transfer to a metal sieve and strain to remove any seeds or pulp. 
  4. Put back in saucepan and heat gently, add nectar or sugar to taste. 
  5. You can leave it as a runny syrup or mix up a little cornflour or arrowroot (about a tablespoon) with some some water and add to the mix. Heat gently until it has thickened. 
  6. You can now serve it hot/warm or allow it to cool. 
  7. Store in the fridge, but it will go quite thick, so you will have to let it come back to room temperature if you store it in a thin mouthed bottle like I have, or just scoop it out with a spoon if in something wider. 
I plan on making this next time I make scones too.
Enjoy! (:





No comments:

Post a Comment