Sunday 13 November 2011

"Meat"balls.

A few nights back I was hungrily plodding around the kitchen trying to think of what to have for dinner. As I had had my weekend cut short by being called into work last week, I didn't have any really meal planner prep time, which I try to do!
Then I happily remembered that in the freezer I had a box of Redwood's meat free meatballs in the freezer which I get from my most favourite store in the world Vegan Online.
So I quickly grabbed them out and heated up my oven and made a kick arse marinara sauce and boiled some pasta.

Marinara Sauce
Ingredients:
  • 1-2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 - 1 onion diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 500g jar pasta sauce, I like Raguletto's Venitian herbs
  • 1 400g tin diced tomatoes
  • fresh oregano, fresh basil, salt, pepper and dried mixed herbs to taste 
  • Pasta 
Method:
  1. Heat oil in a saucepan.
  2. Add onion and saute for 2-3 minutes.
  3. Add garlic and saute fror 2 more minutes.
  4. Add tomato paste and let it cook off, another few minutes.
  5. Add fresh herbs, tomatoes and pasta sauce, mix thoroughly and let simmer until heated through.
  6. Add salt, pepper and fresh herbs to taste, you may also want a little bit of sugar in it, depending how acidic it is. Let simmer for as long as you like, when you're happy with it serve.
You could also add red or white wine to the mix as well.
This was a really great base the next night for a pizza sauce, SOO YUMMY!

But here was the dish I made
There is easily 4 serves here, you really only need 5 or 6 meatballs per dish, especially when eating with pasta, bread and salad like we did. Actually we didn't have bread, we didn't need it! And they were a great lunch of leftovers as well :)
Now I think these are gluten free, but I can't be 100% certain, just (obviously) check the ingredients first.
I can't wait to put in my next order for these, I loved them so much, even just dipping them in BBQ sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment