Saturday 12 November 2011

Not Quite Meatloaf.

Whilst I was busily blogging about my awesome breakfast this morning, I saw on my blog roll a new post from The Vegan Stoner for Lentil Loaf. I've 
been thinking about veganizing meatloaf, but was basically just too lazy! So when I saw this recipe this morning I got VERY excited!
My changes are bolded in this colour.


Lentil Loaf
Ingredients:

  • 2 cups of cooked lentils (from 1 cup of dried)
  • 1/2 an onion, chopped
  • Hand full of walnuts, We don't like walnuts, so instead I used 1/2 a large apple, chopped
  • 2 handfuls crushed crackers, I used 4 whole saladas                  
  • 2 cups frozen veggies, I used a mix of peas, corn and spinach
  • A sprinkling of garlic salt
  • 4 Tbs apple sauce, I only had 3 Tbs worth, which is the other reason why I decided to use fresh apple as well
  • 2 Tbs tomato sauce, I used 3
  • I also added 1 Tbs of yellow/American mustard
  • Ketchup is supposed to go on top, but I used sundried tomato chutney
Method:
  1. Cook lentils.
  2. Mash in onion and walnuts/apple and crackers.
  3. Mix in all remaining ingredients.
  4. Pack into a loaf tin.
  5. Spread with tomato sauce/ketchup/chutney and bake for 40 minutes at 180oC.
Simple, easy and quite tasty.
My loaf pan was a bit small, so the remaining mixture got turned into patties.

No comments:

Post a Comment