Tuesday 5 July 2011

Asian Food!

Tonight we will be having yet another stir-fry for dinner, I love them, plus I have some wombok and pak choy I have to use!
Fried rice and stir-fries have become very popular in my house since I became vegan. They are the kind of meals that don't take much time to whip up and are a great "I CBF'd cooking" meal, plus they are always tasty and filling, and make GREAT lunch leftovers!
 
I made a "Chicken" Fried rice a few nights back and wanted to share it, so here is my basic fried rice recipe. 
I haven’t worried too much about quantities, just make that up to suit yourself.

SJ’s Fried Rice


Ingredients:
  • Brown Rice, steamed
  • Frozen peas
  • Frozen Corn
  • Broccoli, cut into small florets
  • Capsicum, sliced or diced small
  • 2 rings of pineapple, cut into small pieces, plus a bit of the juice if you like
  • Green beans, cut small
  • Carrot, diced
  • Zucchini, diced
  • I’ll also add wombok, bean shoots, mushrooms, onion, spring onions, sugar snap or snow peas or whatever else I have that takes my fancy at the time
  • Kecap Manis or Tamari to keep the dish gluten-free


THE NEXT 3 INGREDIENTS ARE OPTIONAL
  • Organic Soybean "Chicken"
    (Not my most favourite thing in the world, my non-veg hubby likes this stuff more than I do, but it is great in Asian and Mexican dishes I find, and it is becoming a staple in my house. If I’m not using the “chicken” I may crumble in some organic firm tofu, I’m the hugest fan of tofu, but I love to crumble it into dishes so I can’t taste it, but still get extra protein.)
  • Boiling water
  • Massel Chicken Style stock powder
Method:
  1. Steam rice in rice cooker.
  2. Whilst rice is cooking prepare your veggies.
  3. When rice is cooked leave it to sweat a bit whilst you prepare the soy bean chicken if using. Boil a bit of water, enough to cover the chicken and a little bit extra. Add the stock powder, as much as you like, to the water, then add the chicken. Allow it to boil for a bit, then you may need to reduce the heat slighting and cook it on more of a simmer, depending how much time you have. Just ensure its tender.
  4. Whilst water/”chicken” is boiling cook your veggies. Heat a small amount of oil, if needed, in a pan and add the veegies. I cook the harder veggies for a couple of minutes first then work up to the softer ones. I chuck the corn and peas in still frozen, or maybe partially defrosted, I tend not to worry too much.
  5. When the veggies are almost cooked add the rice, Kacap Manis/Tamari (to taste) and pinapple juice (if using, I like it a little bit sweet sometimes), stir to combine really well.
  6. When the “chicken” is ready drain it and add to the rice, stir through, then serve.

Easy, healthy, and yummy! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment