Tuesday 5 July 2011

Winter Warmer.

This time of year it's only natural to want a meal that doesn't just taste good, but to also soothe you, comfort you, give you a culinary hug!
Well last night I did just that. I made potato and leek soup, and believe it or not, it was the first time I had ever had it, let alone made it before! It was a total hit.

Potato and Leek Soup

Ingredients (serves 8):
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 2 leeks, pale section only, halved, washed, dried, thinly sliced (I only had 1 leek so I used a lot of the green as well)
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1kg desiree potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
  • 1L (4 cups) chicken style stock
  • 250ml (1 cup) water
  • 250ml (1 cup) Carnation Evaporated Soy Milk
  • Fresh chives, finely chopped, to serve
Method:
  1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the leek and garlic and toss to coat. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 18-20 minutes or until soft.
  2. Add the potato, stock and water to the pan. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, partially covered, for 25-30 minutes or until potato is tender. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool. (I didn't worry about cooling it much, maybe I should have(?)!).
  3. Transfer one-third of soup to the jug of a blender. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a clean saucepan. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with remaining potato mixture. ( I just stuck my stick blender straight in).
  4. Place the soup over medium-low heat. Add the Carnation and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper. (Because I didn't let mine cool very much I didn't cook it any longer I just stirred it through and served).
The original recipe can be found here.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment