Whenever my Grandmother came to visit us she always had 2 jobs that must be performed:
2. Making dog cakes!
Let me clarify that Dog Cakes are not food for dogs, they are (apparently) rock-cake-style-bickie-type-things!
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups self raising flour
- Substitute for 1 egg
- 2-3 Tbs vegan margarine
- 1 cup sultanas
- little bit of soy milk for mixing and glazing.
- Preheat oven to 180oC
- Mix flour, sugar and margarine in a large bowl with fingertips.
- Add egg replacer and some milk to combine mixture. Use only enough milk start to bring the mixture together. Add the sultanas and anymore milk or flour if required.
- Lightly flour a board/kitchen bench and roll out. Cut into circles with a smallish-mouthed glass, they do spread a bit. Ball up and roll out the remaining dough and repeat the cutting out process until you get to your last scrap of dough. This last bit is best eaten raw I've always found, otherwise you get a wonky bickie! (I don't like wonky, but I do like raw!).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or 'til golden.